Professor Judi Porter, Associate Professor Daniel Belavy, Associate Professor Steve Fraser, Associate Professor David Scott, Dr Brenton Baguley, Dr Jackson Fyfe, Dr Lee Hamilton, Dr Nicole Kiss, Dr Paul Jansons, Dr Patrick Owen, Dr Stuart Warmington
This group focuses on the integration of exercise and nutritional approaches for the primary and secondary prevention of musculoskeletal-related conditions throughout the life course. Our group has specific expertise in conducting large-scale human clinical intervention trials and translational studies, particularly in the areas of osteoporosis, sarcopenia, falls and fractures and spinal health. There is also a strong focus on the prevention and management of musculoskeletal-related complications associated with other chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes, kidney disease, certain types of cancer and cognitive related disorders.
In terms of translational activities, our group has experience and expertise in conducting ‘research to practice’ trials, and evaluating their effectiveness within the community. Our group actively engages with relevant stakeholders – including medical practitioners, specialists, allied health professionals and industry – to inform policy, practice and clinical guidelines.
This group covers:
- Understanding the independent and combined effects of exercise and nutrition on musculoskeletal health and mobility across the lifespan
- Exploring the mechanisms of musculoskeletal disease causation to guide the development of more effective and/or novel interventions
- Designing and evaluating human clinical intervention trials to understand primary and secondary prevention of musculoskeletal related conditions, that will provide high-level evidence to inform policy, practice and clinical guidelines
- Exploring the role of health technologies to aid the prescription of evidence-based exercise programs for healthy older adults and those with musculoskeletal-related conditions
- Developing novel methodologies for assessing various musculoskeletal-related tissues (bone, body composition, cartilage, (inter)vertebral disc, marrow adipose tissue).